Date: August 25, 2019
Leader: John Chase
Location: Jackson Harbor, Chicago
Skill Level: Beginner, with prior paddling experience
The Essentials of Kayak Touring skills course is a full-day program that will provide you with the skills, knowledge, and abilities to be safe and confident on inland lakes and calm, protected Great Lakes environments.
A boat with sealed bow and stern bulkheads is required for this class. A spray skirt is highly recommended but not required to participate.
Topics covered include:
- Controlled capsize and wet exit with a spray skirt
- Develop strokes to maneuver your boat forward, backward, stopping, turning, and sideways
- Using edging to improve maneuverability
- Use of low brace for support and to avoid capsize
- Introduction of low brace turns and draw strokes
- Solo and assisted rescue techniques
- Safety procedures, preparedness, and equipment
Early bird registration: $15 for Prairie State Canoeists members, $35 for non-members (if registered by August 17)
Regular pricing: $20 for PSC members, $40 for non-Prairie State Canoeists members (between August 18-23)
Participants will need to bring their own boat, paddle, PFD, snacks, lunch, and all personal items. Instructors will contact participants prior to the event with special instructions or equipment needs.
ACA membership is required for participation. You will be asked to purchase a $5 one-day membership or supply your ACA member number at checkout.
Early bird rate is in effect until August 17. Registration will close on August 23.